Monday, November 12, 2012

Monday Training

Beginning of the week, beginning of a blog. Seems appropriate. 

I'm currently running a three-day full-body weights program of my own devising. I've tried to keep it pretty simple, which has helped me to stay consistent and steady in my workouts. The gist of it is as follows
  • Upper body push movement
  • Upper body pull movement
  • Lower body movement
  • Abdominal work
  • Joint work
Each day picks a movement for heavy loading, one for medium loading, and one for light loading. They cycle through so as to maximize recovery. Abdominal work is sometimes skipped (I do a lot of it during teaching days at the Flyhouse). Joint work means picking a joint (elbow/knee/etc.) and doing very-high reps with very light weights. The goal is to get blood flowing through and to strengthen the connective tissue. Sometimes I'm able to fit two workouts in (one morning, one evening), and that seems to be helping things as well.

Monday's workout will be:
  • First Workout
    • Incline Bench Press (H)
    • Seated Cable Row (L-M)
    • Paused-Bottom Squats (M-H)
  • Second Workout
    • Close-Grip Bench Press (H)
    • Bent-Over Row (M)
    • Speed Deadlift (L-M)
  • Somewhere in either workout
    • Ab wheel roll-outs (probably from standing)
    • Dumbbell Curl
    • Skin-the-Cats
I really like a lot of the ideas I read from Paul Carter over at Lift-Run-Bang. As such I haven't "classic" bench pressed in a while. Incline press appears to be letting me develop strength without worrying about form nearly as much. Close-grip bench press used to really bother my wrists, but as I've slowly built it up my hands and wrists have started to become accustomed to it. Which is awesome; it feels like a really solid and safe movement for my shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment