Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Training 7-23: Bench + Chins

Was supposed to lift yesterday, but I was completely exhausted when I got home from practice. Matt and I had finished working on the Acro syllabus so at least I had been active that day. Speaking of Matt, he put us over the $400 mark last night with the fundraiser! Thank you everyone who has been donating; pass the word along, let's keep this momentum up!

So I just pushed yesterday's workout to today. I think I've got a blog post in the works -- percolating up in the 'ol noggin -- about training around life. How to train when you've got an insane schedule/are wiped out/sick etc.

Anyhoo, great workout today. Brought the Fat Gripz out for today's workout. These little fellas wrap-around the barbell to make the effective diameter larger. In turn, this works your grip much more than a normal barbell would. They're pretty cool. Added an extra set to both the 225# and 185# working sets. Next week I might up the weight, we'll see. I'm also at IJA next week, so I'll have to find a gym out near Purdue. 

I also dug up my dip/pull-up belt. I figure that if I'm doing high sets of sub-maximal chin-ups on Tuesday, the least I can do is add a little weight to them as I go. Started with 10# today, I'll slowly work my way up; I'm in no rush. Also, I had the bright idea of using the chain to wrap around my feet and do weighted hanging-leg-raises, which were pretty damn awesome. Definitely going to keep those in the mix. 

My legs were quite sore/stiff today, so I changed up my support work to get some blood pumping through them. Speaking of blog posts in the work, I can see a few other topics down the pipeline:
  • Programming the deadlift
  • Programming non-main movements
  • Programming accessory work
  • Prehab/Rehab
  • Recovery

Warmup
  1. Arm-spins
listed as weight x sets x reps

Main Movement

Bench
45 x 1 x 10
135 x 1 x 6
185 x 1 x 6
225 x 4 x 4
185 x 5 x 6
Total volume: 11520 LBS

Support Work

Adductor
Calves
Backbend

125 x 1 x 100
315 x 5 x 15
BW x 4 x 6

Movement Supplement

Chin-ups


Handstands
BW x 5 x 1
10 x 4 x 9

30s x 4

Ab Work

Hanging Leg Raise
10 x 4 x 12

Yoga / Stretching Cool Down

No comments:

Post a Comment