Wednesday, February 12, 2014

FIVE THOUSAND!

Last night my buddy Alan suggested that I do a 5K with him in April. Not sure of the exact date at the moment, but I believe it's either the Cocoa Run (which sounds right up my alley) on April 6, or the Martian Run on April 12. The Martian Run was actually the first 5K I ever ran... would be kind of neat to do it again.

I've been trying to decide how I want to run my conditioning training and I think getting back into running may be the way to go. When I was first getting into exercising I ran couch to 5K and starting strength together; that was the leanest I had been in a while. Worked my way up to running 10K once or twice too. At the moment, I feel as though I would not be able to run a 5K straight through. Yet I'm not entirely untrained. So two months... seems like an amount of time that is completely do-able.

I'm not too concerned about my speed, I'd rather just get my endurance up. I'm torn between Hal Higdon's 8-week program and just jumping into C25K. I'll decide by next Monday. This week I've focused on getting some good yoga/stretching sessions in. Even though I wrote out my training plan last week I've jumped into it in stages:

  1. Weight Training
  2. Yoga/Stretching
  3. Conditioning
That way the volume, amount of exercise, and training load in general do not seem too daunting. So much of it is a mental game and changing everything at once can be tough to do. Looks like I'll have to start bringing my chucks and running shoes to the gym next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment