Monday, August 18, 2014

Training Logs 8-14-14, 8-15-14: Overload Bench and Deadlift.

Busy weekend! Drove to Cleveland and back Friday night, taught class and had two shows Saturday, then taught class on Sunday. Alison and I had a date-ternoon/night Sunday evening. Made a big 'ol salad, bottle of wine, went for a walk. Fantastic and relaxing; just what recovery calls for sometimes!

Overload Bench Press

Massive PR on the 315# Slingshot bench. Asked a fella in the gym to help spot, which is something I rarely do. I think it's important to know how to use/get used to/trust the safety system in a gym so that when you are forced to lift alone you can do it safely. That being said, 315# is a lot of weight and a spot can definitely help take the edge off. You have to be careful sometimes, when you ask for a spot; some people get a little too ready to help you. When I have someone spot I make sure to tell them "only help out if it drops down". If I'm gonna grind out a rep I'm gonna grind the heck out of that rep! Most significantly, he helped me out with the lift-off of the bench; when that happened the bench felt fantastic. Waaaay easier to setup when you don't have to do the initial lift-off. Wrists were feeling a bit touchy after benching, so I left dips and back bends out. 

ExerciseWeightRepsSets
Bench Press45121
13581
18581
22551
Slingshot Bench Press27551
31511
31531
28043
Fat Gripz DB Row50102
60101
DB Row80103

Deadlift

Not much to say about this session. It felt pretty darn good; Just deadlifted as I was going to be hitting the road an hour or so later for a 3 hour drive to Cleveland. Sometimes, when you're time limited, you just boil it down to the essentials. I think that I could have gone for some more back-off sets, but I started being well... gassy when I deadlifted. Grip felt great this session. Lower back felt awesome and totally not sore the rest of the weekend. I've been using the 135/185 sets as paused deadlifts, where you stop the bar just below your shins. Learned about this at Dan Green's seminar and I think they've really been helping to dial in my form.

ExerciseWeightRepsSets
Deadlift45121
13551
22551
31551
40551
46517
31531

No comments:

Post a Comment